Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Viva la Vivo .... not quite

21st Nov

Decided to sleep in today (as best I could anyway). I mean like, whose going to stop me? It's not like I got to go to work or anything. And when I woke up, I tried my best to get the previous pos on here done. Watching Letterman on You Tube wasn't really condusive in speeding things up. I needed to anyway, missed Letterman's Top Tens and stupidly hilarious take on everything since they took it off air over here years ago. Best talk show of all time for me. That impressionist, Frank Caliendo is a real piece of work too. I'm putting the link to that particular You Tube for your viewing pleasure. I thought of embedding that video in this post but I think I've done enough of embedding stuff over the last few days. And yes I am watching it again right now, while I'm writing this.

Click here to watch the video of Frank Caliendo performing on Late Nights with David Letterman.

Anyway went out with mom to help her get some much needed stuff for tomorrow's event in the evenings. It was already around 4:15 pm when we reached Tekka market and the place was bustling with people as always. Mom went into the market proper while I waited somewhere upon the steps of the whole place. After she's gotten all that she needed from the market, I headed down to the Blue Diamond Restaurant (one of the best South Indian beriyanis here) with the groceries to wait for her while she goes to Sheng Shiong to finish off the grab-a-fest for the day.

I was bored so I thought of asking of how things in my previous workplace in Moulmein was. Sent an sms while I was sipping my Teh Gajah (Elephant Tea for you non-Singapore folks....pretty much means a huge mug of tea with milk). The response and return call I got from this ex-colleague of mine was quite unexpected. The news she willingly informed me of without me asking was definitely an eye opener.

Like the line of that classic song you know. "What a difference a day makes....."
_______________________________________

During these times I often wonder if people actually even know of when something is said in confidence or is meant for general consumption. There was a time when she did once tell me of how trust is earned and gained and not to be given freely. Maybe this word trust has different meanings to her in differing situations. How can I even go back there now? Does she think that the people whom she confided in would keep things said in confidence? That place is a bloody rumour mill for God's sake. Maybe she's still confused and all flustered and needed somebody, anybody, to confide in. Maybe she feels that I'm pressuring her somehow. Fine. She could have confided in her room mates or others instead of those who would make a direct impact on whether I would make return visits or not.

People make mistakes, fine. Granted. Sometimes, you just need to make the right one....... I don't know.

The definition of trust has always been the same in my book and I'll refresh it by quoting the following:-

trust[truhst] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation,
–noun
1.reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence.

And I know that for me, the trust has been broken. No, broken's not the right word. Smashed into pieces, yeah, that's an apt way of describing it.

I don't think I wish to talk, communicate or even see her again. My heart's almost close to doing a one-eighty but for some reason it hasn't yet. But it's close. Say about eight degrees more to a full turn about. And I don't know if there is anything that could be done to fix it. If there is then I just haven't thought of it yet. Maybe she would.....heh..... yeah right, doubt it.

Either way, she gets what she wants. I just hoped that it wouldn't be this way but sometimes hopes are meant to be crushed to make space for better ones. Cause, you know....to go from a close friend to someone you can't trust at all in a day is........ well it just sucks ass man. Actually even that is an understatement. I just hope that I'm wrong about all this. Why then do I get the feeling that this is another hope that'll be crushed as well?
_______________________________________

Nizam canceled again to make time to be with his wife. I totally understand. They've been through much too much in recent times and spending some quality time with each other is more than they both deserve.

The biggest surprise was when I got a call from Mui Leng while on my way back from Tekka with my mom. Apparently she had an extra ticket for the movie Happy Feet and really needed somebody to fill that seat up. The only catch was that I needed to come in black & white, formal wear to GV Vivo City. Well there was another catch where I had to reach there by 7 pm while I was still on a bus, on my way home, along Yio Chu Kang Road, with the time being 5:45 pm. Not to mention that most of my formal wear are of the crumply un-ironed type. That's all good though. I'm the King of Last Minute Things....most of the time.

Anyway, I reached there at 6:50 pm (King of Last Minute Things...remember?) and it was only when I arrived at the Cineplex proper did it hit me.

It was the Grand Opening of GV Vivo City - hence the formal, black & white attire, the we need somebody to fill up this seat tone on the phone, the thank you so much and being apologetic tone once I agreed. You have no idea how much I loathe these kind of social events. I even tried to (successfully, I might add) skip my own Bi-Annual General Meeting while I was part of the Youth Executive Committee in a Community Center.... but eh, I was already there, might as well make full use of it. If I had known earlier, I would've brought my digital camera. At least I could've gotten a few pictures.

Met up with Mui Leng after finding my way through the crowd of black and white attired folks. She introduced me to one of her friends that also tagged along. Elisabeth was her name, if I remember correctly. She was cute too. I, however, was still trying to deal with the disorientation I initially get from being in a crowd. A small part of why I loathe social gatherings. Most of it has got to do with the shoulder rubbing and all that. Disorientation got better as I followed them around the first level of the Cineplex. Jamie Yeo, the Mediacorp DJ was hosting and there was this person in a penguin suit prancing around....well hardly prancing...bopping maybe? Regardless, it didn't make the occasion any more grand.

The sushi dishes they served were excellent. Best I've had so far, especially amongst the free ones I've had.

We proceeded on to the second level where there was, surprise surprise, more food. Glenn Ong was the host here and there were more cameras here for some reason. There was another penguin bobbing about and an accoustic band that played the song "My Way", my favourite Sinatra song, both in English and then Spanish. Began seeing a lot of Mediacorp Artists filling up this part of the cineplex and I guess that's why there are more cameras stationed here. We 'parked' somewhere near the entrance of the Gold Class theaters to eat and drink our fill.

The kebab was superb and the salmon they served here even more so. I tried staying away from the sweet stuff as much as I could since I don't quite take those well. Couldn't resist the chocolate cake they had there though. The sweetness and fullness of taste was just right.

It was 8:00 pm before we were allowed into the theater proper. GV Max it was called, I think. And here I was hoping we were to be seated in Gold Class. But hey, I'm already invited to this event by fluke chance, shouldn't expect too much. The theater itself was huge, almost like an auditorium and the screen itself almost reminded me a lot of the old Cathay theater. Yes, t'was a gigantic big screen gosh darn it.

Speeches by the bosses of GV and Village Roadshow, the presentation of a cheque worth a hundred thousand to a representative from my previous workplace and all the symbolic dotting of Chinese festive lions and mini lion dance made the show start at 9:20 pm. I was almost bored to tears. All this for Happy Feet?! Now if it was Casino Royale it would've been a different story.

The movie in itself was passable story wise. The music was supremely excellent. Animation in itself was excellent and that's about it. The main gripe that both Mui Leng and myself had was the ending which didn't quite make sense. It almost seemed as if the story boardists (does such a term even exist?) ran out of space and just needed to come up with an ending that would fit within the urm .... board and length of the movie.

Movie over and we headed off back home. Along the way back Elisabeth and Mui Leng's other friend of whom I didn't quite catch the name of, spoke to me about some sort of ritual involving some seemingly gruesome stuff. Apparently in Chinese customs when the groom, in this case Harold, is to come and take the bride, Mui Leng, away, he and his close guy friends would be put through several, how shall I put it, trials, for lack of better word, by the female friends of the bride. And seeing as Harold has very few guy friends, me being one of them, I was conscripted (and yes that word does seem to fit here) to be a part of this event.

Life just keeps getting better for me now, doesn't it.

I told them I'd think about it. And do I mean I'll think about it.

Elisabeth and Mui Leng's other friend dropped off at Dhoby Ghaut since they were heading back to Ang Mo Kio. And I spent the rest of the trip back with Mui Leng sharing with her stuff that has happened in the day to me and of my current situation. Gave me some good insights, I guess, though I doubt my stance will change that easily. I doubt anything would. I hope I'm wrong though.

Took some pictures of the goody bag when I got home. That's about the only thing I could take pictures of...so...yeah. Oh and I apparently left one of the stuffed toys that was supposed to be in the goody bag behind. Only noticed it when I got home. Oh well..... was going to give it away anyway.

Enjoy the pictures.




No comments:

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz