Apart from the first day which was pretty much a daze for me, where I had to usher parents through the whole process of payment and acquisition of school textbooks, uniforms and various essential stationeries. That and the staff meeting held on the day when me and another newly inducted Asst. Teacher was introduced to the whole Teaching Staff. It was a surreal experience, very much different to my first day at my previous workplace. Everybody seemed more upbeat and energetic. Maybe it was the end of the school terms for the year or maybe they are just like that throughout. I guess I'll find out in the days to come.
It was also the same time when we were introduced to our buddies (kind of like the Singapore military buddy system I guess). And mine was one Miss Nadia, who was still to arrive. I was hoping it was some extremely mature lady, would definitely help take my mind off recent things. So imagine my surprise when it was this tall, young and attractive woman that walked in.
I guess the irony in life, really doesn't end does it.
Anyway............
The second day itself was excellent. There were nine of us in total now. A mix of six other Teachers & Asst. Teachers joined us with this particular day being their first. It was an interesting stew of backgrounds, though most of them have had more experience in the education industry than me. There was a teacher of eight years from a Primary School (Grade School for you Americans and others of similar Education systems), a Secondary School (Sort of High School without a diploma at the end) teacher of three years, two already established SPED (Special Education) teachers with two years of experience from other SPED organisations and a former University lecturer.
I wonder how I, a person with only 5 Credits in my GCE 'O' levels and bare minimum experience in tutoring, managed to cut through the hundred over applicants (or so it was made known by the school Principal) and land a teaching position here.
I've heard of God working in mysterious ways but sometimes its just too mysterious for me.
Spent the whole day going through their Teacher's Orientation Course, Part Uno of Tres. It was partly informative and partly repetitive for me, mainly because I've done my research with regards to autistic children and the ways and means in which to educate them. In large part, it was very informative because it gave me a clear insight into how autism is perceived and handled. We also spent a good part of the afternoon preparing a game for an enrichment class the next day. And it had been a long time since I've done any group discussion for work purposes. No doubt I'm a bit rusty but I thought I did well.
And so we move on to today. Got a briefing on the education system in place at the school, the main areas of focus for the differing Tracks (its a term I've yet to get use to) and of course which Track I belong to. Apparently I've been placed in Track 2, one that covers mainstream Primary 2 education all the way to Secondary School. Meaning the children that will be under me will (depending on their level) be eligible to take either the PSLE or the GCE Ns and Os.
Went to the staff meeting and was made to introduce myself to the lot of teachers there. I don't really remember what I said but they applauded me when I was done without any prompting so that must mean that it was good.
Proceeded to the class and had my true first hand encounter at handling autistic children. It was excellent. There is only one word I can use to describe these little people. Honest and sincere. Well, two words but you get my point. And I truly can't wait to have many more such experiences tomorrow and beyond.
In parting, I'd like to leave you with this poem, written by a child with extremely severe autism when he was only 10, who is now a published writer. One of my newfound inspirations:-
Men and women are puzzled
by everything I do
Doctors use different
terminologies to describe me
I just wonder
The thoughts are bigger than I
can express
Tito
No comments:
Post a Comment