Friday, November 17, 2006

Mein Wahrer Laezter Tag - My Real Last Day

Amazing how a day changes everything. And I do mean everything.

The day started early (most of my days usually do) with me going to Geylang with mom to stock up on our groceries and whatnot. The not-so-logical to buy in Johor type items like fish, meat and other easily-degradable-without-frost stuff. Had a good early day workout, hauling around dead animals that we would consume on a later date. I guess this must've been what the cavemen of yester-milleniums must've felt after a kill. All puffed up and swaggering, swinging the carcasses of hunted beasts as they sauntered on towards home. Except of course, I did not actually slay these sources of nourishment and the puffing and swaggering I did was more due to them being extremely heavy than anything else.

After depositing the future food of the household into the kitchen, I was out again. Alone this time, to meet up with an acquaintance from long ago in Jurong. I was glad to see him doing well. Well, as well as he could given the history he has had with the law. To be able to maintain a steady state of employment is achievement indeed for someone who had at several periods in the past, seen the insides of our local prison cell. One of the few out of many who managed to get their life on track, even if partly.

On to Serangoon next, to pick up a book long overdue in the hands of a friend of mine. Not that I needed it now. I was just sort of being cautious as I've found my items, books, CDs and other stuff to disappear in the hands of so-called friends. Especially after they were done with them and were too tied up in their meetings with Dubya and Blair, discussing about oil prices, trade and immigration policies, to actually pass what was clearly mine, back to me.

I then rushed back to my former workplace in Moulmein after informing one of my colleagues there of my arrival. It seems that in my haste to leave, I had almost forgotten to fulfill a promise I made to one of the patients there. A good thing I left my mug behind, I guess. Anyway, reached there at about 4:30 pm. Most of my colleagues were already at that point in time when they would be packing work stuff up and getting ready for home. Without trying to waste too much time, I unpacked the radio that I bought a few days ago and tuned it to the Malay station Warna before setting it beside the patient on her bed. I felt kind of bad that I had not done this earlier when it would not have been so rushed. Especially when tears welled up in her eyes as she tried to utter her thanks in a repetitive stammer. Then again, if I had done it back then, as an employee, then all the other patients would have asked for the same thing too. And I sure as hell don't have the finances to make all the patients in that particular ward radio owners.

I guess things do happen for a reason.

Grabbed my all too important mug (it's a Tupperware given to me by my mom, mind you) and got the pictures I wanted taken done and over with since said person was there. Gave my proper goodbyes to those who were still there in the PT room after all that. Can't do much about those that weren't there now can I. And it was all systems go for me.

Adieu, adios, tot siens, paalam, vaarwel, afsked,
hyvästi, búcsú, addio, farvell, adeus, прощальный, kwa heri, farväl, chai chien, nan poh, selamat tinggal..............

And just plain old GOOD - FREAKING - BYE.

Yes, this day my friends is definitely, absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt, my last day there.


Closure? Oh hell yes. Severance? Most definitely a hell yeah. Liberated? Do you even need to ask this question?
Can you smell it? Can ya feel it? Relief my brothers and sisters, sweet sweet relief. As sweet as the overpowering smell of freshly peeled oranges.

Don't get me wrong though, I still and will always miss the patients there along with that someone. And will definitely try to find time to visit them when I can. It just feels so freakishly great to bury all the crap that was bogging me down and deep too was its tombstoned grave.

Exorcism completed and the soul born anew.

Hindered nevermore, ever more free. Unshackled, unchained, rip roar, let loose the spirit. The world is mine again.

Look out people, the Az is back.
__________________________________________

Through the storm of memories -



breeds the experiences that shape us.

And only through those we encounter-



do we truly know who we are.


No comments:

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz