Saturday, October 06, 2007

I Was Watching When I Should Have Been Writing

Been meaning to write about the play I went to watch two days ago. It was held in the Drama Center, on the third floor of the National Library Board building. And thanks to Debz, I got a discount on the ticket to boot. Been quite some time since I watched any such local productions. The last that I remembered was the first Dim Sum Dollies. And yes, I realize that, that was quite a few summers past.

The one that I recently saw had a rather prominent though not so easily remembered title. The Campaign To Confer The Public Service Star To JBJ. I much enjoyed it and with it being the first time I've ever watched anything at the Drama Center, it was an interesting experience. Its not quite like the large seating halls that you'd find at the Esplanade but more akin to an auditorium with a stage perched front and center. Plus point of this kind of setting though (unless you just happen to get a seat way up in the Circles) is that the stage is up close. It gives you a very good view of the actors and their facial expressions during the whole play.

The flow of the story itself was good. I particularly enjoyed the whole of Act 1. Never busted a gut so hard laughing. Political references and stereotypical revelations of might bes were molded and fashioned into a constant stream of humorous situations. Act 2 though was funny though not quite as much, as it focused more on the darker and more complex maneuverings of an official body that did nothing wrong and a congregation of the media led public on a baseless inkling that something wrong was done. I particularly loved the end. It was ironic it most sense and triggered a lot of self-contemplation on my part of a just cause or a cause just because.

And though I would agree that the content of the play might be a bit dry for those are none too tolerant on linguistic dances but I guess when you come to a play with a name like this, you kind of like expect this kind of thing.

Props must go to the two play actors who took on the roles of several characters amongst them. Though nothing should be taken away from Rodney Oliveiro's performance, it is to Pam Oei that I gave my loudest cheer after the curtain fell. Her seamless transitions between characters within a matter of seconds - costume changes and all - while still remaining in character, was amazing to behold. A wonderful performance from the both of them.

Perhaps I should try my hand at writing a play but I've always found that kind of authoring a bit daunting for reasons still unknown to me. Feels much simpler to compose short stories, novels and poems. But then again, maybe it's time for me to venture somewhere I've never gone before.

The whole play reminded me of a particular video I saw on You Tube some time ago. It's a video-ized (if that's even a word) of Hossan Leong's performance at one of Talking Cock's events at the old Parliament House. Gonna embed that video here. Enjoy.


No comments:

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz