Saturday, March 08, 2008

Finally, It's Over....... For Now

Yeah, finally the school term is over and the holidays are in full swing (sort of). And though the MOSAIC Music Festival is being held during this timely break, I doubt I have the finances to fulfill that particular fancy of mine. So, apart from me attempting to win at a game of Hide-and-Seek with my muse in order to complete the would-be novel I'm currently writing, read two of Stephen King's books - namely The Dark Tower and Lisey's Story - which I've put off reading for over a half a year now and catch up with the happenings in the lives of those around me, I thought I'd treat myself to another fancy of mine that I've neglected for a good while now......................................
MOVIES!

And not just any movie either, I've got a list of some must-sees (that is if the movie even gets shown here in Singapore). For those of you who knows about my movie tastes, knows that my must-sees are definitely a must-see.

I've listed them here, with accompanying movie genres and/or studios for the ease of you folks skipping the movie genres you don't quite fancy as well as their US release dates. I've even provided a short snippet of my thoughts on what the movie is from the trailers I've seen as well as links to the trailers. I've even added some to-be-released movies that I'd love to catch. Enjoy...... I know I will.

Currently screening (Please tell me if you've seen the adverts for these films or where they are screened)

Man In The Chair – 7th December 2007 (Independent)

This is the prime movie that I would want to catch, if I ever do watch movie again. An uplifting story about an over-the-hill director who gets a second chance. Definitely a must watch.

The Diving Bell & The Butterfly – 30th November 2007 (Miramax)

Another must, must catch film for me. An incredible true story about a man living the high life before the sudden onset of stroke and how his imagination, set him free.

The Great Debaters – 25th December 2007 (Weinstein)

I know that I've seen the adverts for this movie somewhere in Singapore, though I could be mistaken. Another definitely must watch. A story about how a debating team from a black college in the 1930s changed the way America viewed its own people.

I’m Not There – 21st November 2007 (Weinstein)

An autobiographical film (somewhat) of the life of the elusive Bob Dylan in which six different actors plays Dylan throughout the movie. Definitely an interesting take on this musician's life.

War/ Dance – 2nd November 2007 (THINKFilm - Documentary)

Definite must-see if you love docu-movies. Its a true story about how a group of children from Southern Uganda who were formerly abducted and how music gave them new hope.

Taxi To The Dark Side – 18th January 2008 (THINKFilm - Documentary)

A disturbing yet revealing documentary on the ongoings of the US occupation of Afghanistan in 2002. Don't expect anything close to the fun-loving style Micheal Moore employs in this one.

The Air I Breathe – 25th January 2008 (THINKFilm)

If you love Crash and Babel, then you'll love this one.

Beaufort – 18th January 2008 (Independent - Foreign Film)

A movie you definitely cannot miss if you love foreign films. Its a tale about the much untold life of an Israeli solider during the army's withdrawal from the Lebanese border in 2000.

Shootdown – 25th January 2008 (Independent - Documentary)

This documentary revolves around an incident in 1996 where Cuban jet fighters gunned down two civilian volunteer patrol planes within the maritime border between the US and Cuba.

He Was A Quiet Man – 14th January 2008 (Independent)

A beautiful story about an everyday man given an extraordinary chance in life.

Cassandra’s Dream – 18th January 2008 (Weinstein)

A powerful story of the choices life hands you and the decisions we make of them.

Meet The Spartans – 25th January 2008 (Fox - Comedy)

Arguably one of the best comedies of the year.

The Orphanage – 28th December 2008 (Picturehouse - Horror)

I've seen a lot of horror films but this one is unique.

Postal – 1st February 2008 (Independent - Comedy)

If politically incorrect and undeniably offensive comedy is your thing, then this one is definitely for you.

Diary Of The Dead – 15th February 2008 (Weinstein - Horror)

If you're a fan of George A. Romero and his zombie movies then you'll definitely enjoy every decaying flesh of this, his next installment since Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn of The Dead, Day Of The Dead and Land of The Dead. Taken in the vein of Cloverfield, it offers an interestingly different perspective to the whole view of an Apocalypse where the dead returns to life.

The Year My Parents Went On Vacation – 15th February 2008 (Independent - Foreign Film)

Another must watch foreign film about a boy who was left in the care of his grandfather's neighbour during the political upheaval in Sao Paolo.

Romulus, My Father – 29th February 2008 (Magnolia)

A beautiful story about a boy's life and his struggle between his deeply moral father and his depressive mother.

Snow Angels – 7th March 2008 (Warner Independent)

Just watch it. Its guaranteed to be a poignant tale.

Persepolis – Unknown (Sony Pictures Classics) - I know this one is already out, so let me know if you see it.

An animated story about the coming of age of an Iranian girl who escapes her troubled home to live and learn in France.

Be Kind Rewind – Unknown (New Line Cinema - Comedy)

Mos Def and Jack Black. Plus they own a video store. Trust me, you can't go wrong with this one.

Coming Soon (Keep an eye out will ya!)

Superhero Movie – 28th March 2008 (Weinstein - Comedy)

In the vein of Scary Movie and Naked Gun, how could you even think of missing this?

The Visitor – 11th April 2008 (Independent)

As much as I want to watch The Man In The Chair, I want to watch this movie just as badly.

88 minutes – 18th April 2008 (Sony Pictures)

Like to get your mind stretched to its limits, then this is definitely the movie for you.

Young At Heart – 18th April 2008 (Fox Searchlight - Documentary)

A movie following the ups and downs of a senior citizens singing group (if you can call them that) and how singing gave them new life and hope.

Where In The World Is Osama Bin Laden? – 18th April 2008 (Weinstein - Documentary...sort of)

If you enjoyed Super Size Me, then you'll definitely enjoy this.

Iron Man – 2nd May 2008 (Paramount)

Do I even need to explain this?

Redbelt – 2nd May 2008 (Sony Pictures Classics)

A story about a fighter trainer who tries to make his ends meet. And when a big time fight promoter steals his training methods and turns it into a money making competition, he is forced to fight to regain what was rightfully his.

Son Of Rambow – 2nd May 2008 (Independent)

A heartwarming tale of a couple of Irish boys who come across a pirated copy of Rambo: First Blood. And living in a society where movies prohibited, the boys attempt to make a film of their own. A definite must see.

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull – 22nd May 2008 (Paramount)

Forget all that National Treasure, Tomb Raider crap, this is the original treasure seeker. It's Indiana Jones man and he's back, need I say more?

The Happening – 13th June 2008 (Fox)

M. Night Shyamalan. Nuff said.

Get Smart – 20th June 2008 (Warner Bros - Comedy)

With Steve Carrell playing the part of Maxwell Smart it's as good as the original, at least from what I saw in the trailers. Definitely one not to miss.

No comments:

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz