![]() |
| Promo Poster |
| RZA as the main protagonist |
The movie was shot in the style of the kung-fu movies of old but with that off beat Tarantino feel to it - English speaking Chinese folks in what is supposedly classical 'China', guns and gatling guns, etc. It's like a steam punk kung fu movie without the steam or the punk and Tarantino held it all together well. Honestly I found that most of the characters were right on cue, though the storyline did feel somewhat rushed through (except for that long ass flashback) but it was enjoyable for the most part. My one main complaint though was the 'hero' of the movie. I mean come on, just because the guy wrote the whole thing, doesn't mean he's the best guy to play that role. I found RZA's portrayal of Thaddeus (yes, that's the main character's name) to be too lacklustre that it hurt the movie more often than not. Perhaps casting a veteran actor for such an important role in the movie would've made the role appear more alive. I've got no qualms with the other casts. And it was nice to see WWE wrestler Batista get his shot on the big screen even though it was as a guy who had Colossus-like abilities to turn his entire body to brass (see pictures below).
There was also little to say about Lucy Liu, Russel Crowe or Daniel Wu's performances in this movie as all of them performed as expected. The storyline too has a nice kung-fu like flow to it, if you do follow the kung fu movies of the 80s then it shouldn't be too hard for you to follow.
All in all, I would say that it's a movie that one can appreciate if you can appreciate something by Tarantino and the Blackinese approach that RZA and his Wu-Tang clan members prefer. Or of course if you just like to watch kung-fu and lots of artistically presented violence and death. I know I enjoyed it but at the same time wouldn't recommend it to just anyone.
To end it and just because Batista's appearance had me reminiscing, here's a video to his slightly older entrance theme song on WWE:

No comments:
Post a Comment