Saturday, June 07, 2008

M.O.V.I.E.S.

Got myself an injection of movies these past few days. Yes, yes I have been procrastinating from writing my manuscripts. And reading too but there’s this block that I felt needed some smashing to smithereens. Recent happenings haven’t helped matters either. My granddad’s sick again. I guess those things only left for a short vacation or something. Either way, it has got me severely drained…..

On to more distracting things.

Managed to catch the latest Indiana Jones movie today - Kingdom of The Crystal Skull. I have always been an Indiana Jones fan since my younger days. The most original American treasure seeker/archeologist/part-time lecturer/ government agent (at times) in my book and with this fourth installment of the Indie-series, nothing has changed in the character. Apart from a lot of grey hairs and wrinkles of course. Harrison Ford’s most notable character still sports that brown hat, trademark whip and still dishes out that signature wit in times of distress.

Set in the early 70s (or at least I think it was) when anti-Communist sentiment was rampant in the U.S and when the seeds of the cold war were beginning to be planted (or were already growing, take your pick), an aged Indiana Jones set forth to find another treasure that could spell the end of the known world. This time with the KGB as the main protagonists, led by a sublimely cool but unmistakably deadly Dr. Irina Spalko played by the ever alluring (to me anyway) Cate Blanchett.

If you were once an Indy fan, then you won’t be disappointed with this one. It has all the adventure promised from previous franchises. Insects and snakes too….well one snake but what’s an Indiana Jones movie without snakes. I particularly enjoyed the short 2 seconds or so where the Ark of the Covenant (link) could be seen housed within a semi-thrashed crate. The standard chase scenes that is a must for any good American movie and the whole I’ve-gotten-away-oh-no-I’m-caught-again-now-I’ve-run-away thing that is the trademark of any Indiana Jones really makes it an interesting ride. Best of all though, the storyline was the most feasible I’ve seen for some time where revived franchises are concerned.

If you are not an Indy fan though, I doubt this would be a good movie for you to start. The movie can get heavy on background dependency for a first time Indiana Jones watcher to follow, at least at the start. By the time the middle of the movie sets in, you’re pretty much in it for the ride.

A must watch from me then again I am biased when it comes to Indiana Jones. Besides if the ending is any indication then there might just be more Indiana Jones movies to come….. well I can hope can’t I.

Next up is a movie that I planned to watch when it came out some time last year but for some reason just didn’t get around to doing it. And unlike The Pirates of The Caribbean: The Curse of The Black Pearl, this one involved a compass that actually works. Though like Captain Jack Sparrow’s compass, it doesn’t necessarily point north.

The Golden Compass is a movie based on the book Northern Lights by Phillip Pulman. And seeing as I’ve read the book, you might find that the written impressions of this movie can be quite partial.

The premise of the movie was great. In a billion worlds connected by Dust, there are those like in our world where our souls are housed within and there are also those who have their souls walk beside them and are called daemons. That got me hooked and it would have been line and sinker if they had just taken the time to flesh out the characters and plot a tad more.

My main gripe was that everything felt rushed. And the Magisterium didn’t really feel like the threatening totalitarian regime that it did in the book. Bits and parts were missing that would have made more sense on why the Gyptians kept watch over Lyra other than the matter of fact manner that was delivered. This also includes the involvement of the Witches added with Scoresby’s and Iorek’s backstories. Lyra's character also did not respect the leap in change in her role at the appropriate moments. Definitely did not help....

Regardless it is still a good watch if you are not a stickler for details like me, especially when it comes to book-to-movie adaptations.

Last but definitely not least is a movie that I practically reprimanded myself on missing when it aired here.

El laberinto del fauno

Or rather Pan's Labyrinth. Though there was this whole
confusion on the name as the literal translation should be The Labyrinth of The Fawn. Oh well, whatever the reason might be, I was definitely placated by this movie.


Set in Spain of the 1940s during a time of the Spanish Civil War, it tells the tale of how a child (Ophelia) deals with the events occurring around her by creating (and living too I guess) a world of fantasy and hope. Without exposing too much for those who have yet to cast their eyes upon this wondrous Spanish masterpiece from Guillermo Del Toro who both wrote and directed the film, I can safely say that this movie is a heartwrencher from beginning to end. And the end is such a fitting one for a tale of this beauty. I wish I could've written something this wonderful.

Can't say much more than I already have without spoiling it. Excellent story telling. Definitely, certainly a must must must watch.

Well, that's all from me for now.... You guys have a nice productive life, k.

No comments:

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz