Saturday, May 31, 2008

Movie Review....sort of

Been doing some housekeeping. Now if only what I meant by that entailed anything of the material world, my mom would undoubtedly be pleased. Well too bad the memory clog up of both my thumbdrives and my one and laptop required more immediate attention than the apparel infested floors of this location once dubbed as 'My Room.'

Its amazing what remains undeleted in your storage devices if left unsifted for over a year. I was half expecting Max Headroom to pop out.......

In other news...... I watched The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian....... and that's a first ever for a movie that I wouldn't really rate as a jawdropper or spirit lifter. And yes Corrine, I was mistaken, Liam Neeson was and is the lion. I guess I kept thinking it was Sean Connery was because I had it in my mind (most of the time) that he would have done a better job. Now the movie wasn't bad or anything..... it was good but not as good as I hoped it to be. Then again it is unfair of me to base it against other truly solid book to movie adaptations of fantasy tales which I would also include The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe as one of them.

Now my friends who were with me during my first viewing loved it so I decided to give it another go today. Who knows, I might've missed something. And when you've got someone who wants to treat you for a movie, how could you say no?

I particularly liked the CGI in the movie itself, it was almost as good as the first movie. Plot wise, there was a lot of things going on, mostly revolving around the growing pains of the Pevensie children mirrored by the crown prince of the Telmarines' own struggles in accepting his seemingly preordained fate. Add that with the prevailing notion of an 'evil' force invading the nice, cuddly and peace-loving creatures of Narnia and you'd have what would seemingly be a rock solid story.

The not so good parts were at times I felt the cinematography or editing could have been better as there were moments when I felt as though a particular scene felt stuck in a single lens shot or just plain too long. The Iberian (Spanish or Portuguese...) accents (at least I think were Iberian) were a bit difficult to follow. Now I understand that the Telmarines are meant to appear, feel and sound foreign to Narnia and I guess that includes the Pevensie children but I guess to me they went a bit far on the sounding part.

The worst part to me was a feeling of lost direction on where to actually go with this movie at the start (and some ways close to the middle too). I know that the director was trying to give a feel of a more savage and 'human infested' Narnia devoid of the Deep Magic. To me, it didn't quite come off and felt a bit like neither here nor there. It was only when Aslan began to return and also a cameo appearance of the protagonist in the first movie did it feel somehow right. Then again, it is always difficult to define the feel of a movie and I'll have to give kudos to the director on at least attempting to get it right.

Now this being the first of the Caspian trilogy I would've expected them to put more effort into its making. With The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair still yet to come to complete this trilogy, Prince Caspian left me a wondering if the following two could be any better (if not worse).

Regardless, the Caspian trilogy had always been what I felt was the more interesting of the Narnia stories and I guess I'll still watch the next one and probably complete watching all three movies in the Caspian trilogy, that is if they don't suck so bad.

Which I hope they don't as there are another three more stories that could be adapted to the screen apart from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and the Caspian trilogy.

No comments:

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz